Staff Software Engineer, Core Platform at TuneIn
San Francisco, CA, US / Los Angeles, CA, US
Our mission is to deliver the world’s best listening experiences. Every day we make good on that promise for millions of listeners through our flagship mobile and web applications along with more than 200 connected devices and services.
About TuneIn Engineering
We value being a top-notch engineering organization, and have the same high standards with our code and people. We make time for quality, we are agile and pragmatic, we keep it simple, we are data driven, and we love getting better.
We regularly invest time in your future and support growth, and we show this in a number of ways—clear job responsibilities and expectations for your career path, freedom to move teams, cross-functional teams to contribute more broadly, and our quarterly Discovery Days, whereby you spend time in the form of building innovative features, products, or approaches to problems ("hackathon" like); addressing nagging issues or problems that take time away from adding value to TuneIn; or simply learning a new technology.
About the Position
As a key member of the core platform engineering team, you will work directly with business and technical stakeholders to lead and execute projects including exploration of new languages, tools, technologies (such as Go, AWS Lambda, Aurora, ElastiCache, CloudSearch, etc), building new APIs and microservices, migration of existing services and data stores to the cloud, personalization and many more. While working on these projects you will be responsible for full life-cycle management, including requirements analysis, technical design, implementation, testing, documentation, deployment to production, and postproduction ownership.
What You’ll Do
· Design and build services and applications at scale for tens of millions of users.
· Profile and optimize browse and search algorithms over large datasets.
· Contribute to architecture, design and implementation of next generation monetization and metadata delivery platform.
· Contribute to development of new web and mobile applications and services.
· Create technical specifications for new products, executing from start to finish and owning the quality of the service in production.
· Create and enhance integrations with external partners like Amazon, Microsoft, Sonos, Tesla, and Google.
· Maintain and extend heterogeneous environment, including our core .NET codebase and our set of services written in Go.
· Maintain and extend API services, SDKs and developer documentation.
Who You Are
· 7+ years of software engineering experience with an emphasis in modern web stacks, design, development and deployment of high volume web applications and APIs (millions of transactions per day).
· Working knowledge of both relational and NoSQL database design and management (here at TuneIn we are using SQL Server, Aurora,, Redis, DynamoDB, BerkeleyDB, Redshift and more).
· History of building resilient, stateless, scalable, distributed and observable systems.
· Experience with microservices, knowledge of modern cloud services (such as AWS or similar).
· Practical perspective on software engineering discipline, focus on learning and delivering, and passion for high quality.
· Great energy and enthusiasm with a positive, collaborative working style, clear communication and writing skills. Enthusiasm for audio content preferred.
· Bachelors in Computer Science or equivalent work experience.
Bringing together a wide collection of sports, music, news and podcasts — including live, on-demand and original content — TuneIn lets people find what they love while helping them discover new things. TuneIn serves more than 75 million monthly active users, across the globe, on hundreds of types of devices, including smartphones, desktop, connected devices, connected autos, game consoles and smart speakers, like Sonos, Bose SoundTouch, Amazon Echo and Google Home. TuneIn Premium subscribers can listen to the NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, and commercial-free music stations.
TuneIn is headquartered in San Francisco, and we have vibrant, growing offices in Los Angeles and New York, NY. We’re venture funded from Comcast Ventures, IVP, Sequoia Capital, Causeway, General Catalyst Partners, Icon Ventures, and Marker LLC
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.