SoFi is a mission driven company where we are laser focused on helping our members get their money right. We’re doing this by providing a set of game changing capabilities for our members across a broad set of financial products that our members use daily. We’re seeking out Principal Software Engineers that are excited about this mission and are excited about using technology to help make our members financial lives better.
The ideal candidate is a hands-on, articulate and focused leader, who can not only help us to develop features and services but also can help lead others in the definition and implementation of brand-new architectures. We move quickly and collaborating well with product management, operations and other stakeholders is crucial to the success of our service so engineers that are humble, hungry and smart with a strong desire to make a difference in our members live will thrive.
At SoFi, you’ll become part of a new kind of finance company whose ambition is to help our members achieve financial independence and reach their goals. We aim to be at the center of our members’ financial lives, and to help every member get their money right. We created student loan refinancing, addressing the biggest financial challenge of a new generation through a modern approach to lending and personal finance. Next we expanded our products and services across loans, wealth management, and insurance. SoFi Money—a modern take on a checking or savings account--is our newest innovation and disruption to the financial services industry. SoFi has achieved significant growth, with ambitious plans ahead, but to continue this growth we need great talent. And that starts with you.
Key responsibilities include
- Definition of functional and technical feature epics and user stories, translation into detailed technical solutions
- Design, develop and test system large components/services, lead code and design reviews
- Deliver and operate highly available and scalable services in a production environment
- Mentor other engineers, support the technical culture, and help grow the team
- Work with leadership to help define technical direction for new products and services
- Work cross products to enhance and promote ideas for useful new projects and technologies.
- Communicate with project leads, product managers and other software developers on multiple projects.
- Computer Science Degree or equivalent from a fully-accredited college or university preferred
- 10+ years with Java (or another Object Oriented Programming language) experience
- Deep experience building, and operating, web services at scale
- Proven track record of designing and delivering large scale, highly available and high quality services
- Solid understanding of relational databases (MySQL or Postgres)
- Strong knowledge of data structures, algorithms, enterprise systems and distributed systems
- Ability to work in a fast paced and Agile development environment
- Work and play well with others; SoFi is a collaborative environment
- Familiarity w/AWS and at-scale services
- Mobile experience (iOS or Android)
- Web UI Experience
- Working knowledge of Continuous Integration (CI) and Continuous Deployment (CD) principles.
- Familiarity with Extreme Programming (XP) project methods.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to sit; stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. The standard schedule is Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5 p.m., with some flexibility available. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
SoFi provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, SoFi complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
SoFi expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of SoFi’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Lunch stipend, a fully stocked kitchen, and subsidized gym membership.
- Competitive salary packages and bonuses.
- A flexible vacation policy allows you to truly relax and reboot.
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, and life insurance as well as disability benefits.
- 100% of health, vision, and dental premiums paid by SoFI for employees and their dependents.
- 401(k) and education on retirement planning.
- Tuition reimbursement on approved programs, up to $5,250 a year.
- Monthly contribution to help you pay off your student loans.