Expanse, formerly Qadium, a San Francisco-based company, provides IT and security teams with complete visibility of the assets and risks on their global Internet Edge. This enables our customers, Fortune 1000 companies and the US government, to quickly and efficiently eliminate these risks. Through technology and service expertise, we surface and help remediate Internet Edge risks to prevent large breaches and successful attacks.
Expanse has raised over $65 million of funding from Founders Fund, NEA, IVP, and TPG. We were founded in 2012, after the founders met at DARPA.
At Expanse, we're monitoring the global internet. That's a lot of tubes. To help us manage the infrastructure we require to process those tubes, we're looking for a Head of DevOps.
As the Head of DevOps at Expanse, you'll own our Cloud infrastructure, building and owning our CI/CD platform as well as the execution infrastructure for our entire product line running in GCP and AWS. This position is a 50/50 opportunity for somebody who wants to both manage a team and also contribute in a hands-on capacity. You'll guide senior-level contributors in their careers, as well as participating in day-to-day infrastructure work and the 24x7 on-call rotation. You'll work closely with other leaders in the Expanse Engineering and Product teams to build our product and technical roadmap. You'll be responsible for your team's execution of that roadmap, developing the KPIs required to monitor that execution. You and your team will provide the tools, infrastructure, process and know-how to our development teams that will enable them to deploy and monitor their products in production, products that in turn ensure the safety and security of some of the largest companies in the world.
If you're looking for an opportunity to have a huge impact by building world class products that solve problems that nobody else can solve, we'd love to hear from you!
What You’ll Do
- Participate in the Expanse Engineering organization as a leader setting departmental direction, policies, goals, project coordination, etc
- Build, manage, and support a team of DevOps engineers as it grows using transparent, data driven metrics
- Build and support infrastructure to allow feature teams to deploy, monitor and support our products in production
- Contribute (up to 50% of the time) to hands-on work, including system administration, configuration management, and 24x7 on-call response; lead by example to drive technical excellence and overall team success
- Establish and implement Cloud best practice policies
- Identify critical infrastructure initiatives; build a plan and execute
- Help track and manage infrastructure costs and budgets
- Coordinate with Engineering leaders across scrum teams to ensure timely delivery of features, bug fixes, and infrastructure improvements into multiple production environments
- Develop, track and report on KPIs related to maintenance, product development, platform performance and platform stability
- 7+ years industry experience in a hands-on DevOps role
- 4+ years experience in personnel management of DevOps teams and working with development teams to support and improve their software delivery processes
- Significant hands-on experience working with AWS, GCP or other dynamically-scalable cloud environments
- Actively follow technology industry trends, emerging technologies, and software development best practices
- Experience owning production operations for SaaS products
- Experience setting project schedules and managing deliverables
- Knowledge of Linux/Unix operating systems
- Experience with containers (bonus for Kubernetes)
- Proficiency in scripting using Bash, Python
- Experience with infrastructure as code (Terraform, CloudFormation or similar)
- Continuous Integration / Continuous Deployment experience
- Willing and able to work in San Francisco
- 100% coverage of employee healthcare benefits (Medical, Dental, Vision)
- 50% coverage for dependent healthcare benefits
- 20 vacation days with 10 company holidays
- Parental Leave
- 401k Plan
- Pre-tax commuter & FSA benefits
- Monthly contribution to phone bill
- Relocation assistance available
- Stocked kitchen + catered lunch and dinner
- New hire office productivity budget - $300
- Quarterly discretionary team building stipend
- On-site activities such as Lunch and Learns, Speaker Series, Game Night, and Trivia Night
- Company-wide events including team building, holiday party, and offsites