Who we are:
MasterClass is transforming online education by enabling anyone in the world to learn from the very best. We are deconstructing what makes an actor able to cry on demand, how an athlete defies gravity, and what it takes to write a bestseller. Our online learning content is available to students anywhere anytime, which supports our mission to democratize education.
We are a rapidly-growing VC-funded startup based in San Francisco. Since our launch in 2015, we have been growing our team, and have created unique online classes taught by famous masters—Gordon Ramsay, Hans Zimmer, deadmau5, Werner Herzog, Shonda Rhimes, Serena Williams, Dustin Hoffman, Jane Goodall, James Patterson, Aaron Sorkin, Annie Leibovitz, Usher, Christina Aguilera, Will Wright, Malcolm Gladwell, and many more to come.
Apply now to find out more about what we are doing behind the scenes.
What we’re looking for:
Data, and how they are used, play a central role at MasterClass and are at the heart of how we make business, product, content, and operational decisions. Our growing Analytics and Data Science team is a specialized, cross-functional group that collaborates with a variety of departments to drive decisions and provide direction for future growth at MasterClass. We are looking for an exceptional data expert whose analyses will help explain trends and identify opportunities. The ideal candidate for this role requires someone with the ability to solve problems, deliver meaningful business insights and actionable recommendations, drive audience and revenue growth, as well as perform hands-on analyses and modeling.
How the successful candidate will contribute:
- Own data analysis and visualization; communicate and present findings/actionable insights to business stakeholders and non-technical audiences
- Partner with various departments (e.g. Product, Engineering, Marketing, Content, etc.) to define core metrics that serves as North Star for team efforts; to measure impact and efficiency of products, features, and business processes; to identify opportunities, assess risk potentials and explain trends; to drive audience and revenue growth
- Formulate and test hypothesis; conduct exploratory, sophisticated, and deep data analyses, leveraging data mining, visualization, and statistical modeling techniques to drive business decisions, to understand customer activity and product performance across all digital platforms
- Design and analyze experiments (A/B and multivariate tests) to drive KPI improvement
- Build, maintain, and communicate detailed reporting, visualization, and other tools to deliver business insights and to show business health
- Continuously improve the quality and accessibility of our analytical framework and data reporting infrastructure
- Assist in data requirements gathering and data validations to improve data platforms
- Efficiently manage his/her own project queue and develop streamlined workflows
What the successful candidate brings:
- BA/BS degree in a related quantitative field (Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Engineering, Physics). Advanced degree preferred.
- 4+ years of relevant working experience in a similar role, preferably for an online content, video, subscription or e-commerce property/platform
- Proficient in SQL with ability to write structured and efficient queries on large data sets (e.g. Redshift, PostgreSQL, BigQuery, Impala/Hadoop, Teradata) and a programming/scripting language (e.g. Python, R)
- Expert knowledge with business intelligence tools (e.g. Looker, Tableau) and web analytics tools (e.g. Amplitude, Google Analytics, Adobe)
- Expertise with statistical analyses, application, and concepts (e.g. regressions, experiment design, classification etc.)
- Strategically-minded yet strong detail-orientation with a penchant for data accuracy
- Proven ability to solve problems, learn quickly, work independently, and adapt to change in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication and presentation skills
- Exemplary relationship builder who is consultative in nature and form partnerships with coworkers and customers
- Ability to work full-time in our San Francisco office
- Legally eligible to work in the United States
At MasterClass, we believe we put our best work forward when our employees bring together ideas that are diverse in thought. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law. In addition, MasterClass will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you have a disability or special need, we would like to know how we can better accommodate you.