Checkr’s mission is to build a fairer future by improving the understanding of the past. Since graduating Y-Combinator in 2014, Checkr’s product has shifted the on-demand economy and has continued to scale into serving enterprise companies across various industries. As a company that provides modern and compliant background checks for global enterprises and startups, Checkr knows first hand how difficult it may be for individuals with prior criminal history to find employment and we want to help provide fair chances for the formerly convicted. A career with Checkr provides the opportunity to make an impact on the professional lives of millions of people and we encourage all qualified individuals to apply for our roles.
We are looking for a motivated and experienced attorney with a strong technology transactional background to join our dynamic legal team. As Commercial Counsel, you will report to Checkr’s Senior Corporate Counsel and partner with our revenue teams to draft, negotiate and review complex enterprise level agreements. You will interact with internal clients at every level of the company and also work closely with our compliance team to advise on legal, regulatory and compliance issues.
The ideal candidate will hit the ground running. You have at least 5 years of experience reviewing, drafting and negotiating a variety of enterprise commercial agreements. You’re organized, able to provide sound advice quickly and have a mastery of the legal issues involved in commercial agreements, especially at a technology start-up. You’re adept at spotting risks, understanding when the risks matter, limiting liability and striking a great deal. You can be tough when needed, but work well in a fun, fast-paced, and collaborative environment.
- Review, draft and negotiate a variety of enterprise agreements, commercial partnership agreements and data provider agreements.
- Provide practical guidance on legal issues and agreements in the context of the company’s commercial goals and risk thresholds
- Help create, improve and manage internal processes, best practices, and commercial templates for the legal team
- Research and analyze laws that affect the company, including the Fair Credit Reporting Act, from a commercial standpoint.
- Contribute to cross-functional teams as a trusted advisor, creative problem-solver and strategic thinker.
- Assist on projects as needed, including general corporate, vendor relationship and risk management issues, as well as assisting with the management of external counsel.
What you bring:
- JD degree and a member in good standing of the California Bar
- 5+ years of relevant experience, ideally as in-house counsel in a high-growth technology company
- Top-notch expertise in structuring, drafting and negotiating a wide variety of commercial contracts
- Pragmatic strategist who can identify and resolve legal issues in the context of the company’s commercial goals and risk thresholds
- Excellent oral and written communication skills—the ability to explain complex issues and concepts in straightforward, everyday terms
- Strong attention to detail
- Flexible and able to prioritize and juggle many projects effectively -- big and small -- in a fast-paced environment
- Collaborative team player with high emotional intelligence, strong judgment, humility and a good sense of humor
- Ability to learn quickly and take on challenging new projects with enthusiasm
All Checkr employees enjoy the following:
- A fast-paced and collaborative environment where we leverage the latest technology
- Hands-on coaching and professional development
- Competitive compensation and opportunity for advancement – a true meritocracy
- 100% medical, dental and vision coverage
- Unlimited PTO policy
- Gym membership, transportation reimbursements
- Catered lunch, dinner, and snacks