Who we are:
MasterClass is transforming online education by enabling anyone in the world to learn from the very best. We are deconstructing what makes an actor able to cry on demand, how an athlete defies gravity, and what it takes to write a bestseller. Our online learning content is available to students anywhere anytime, which supports our mission to democratize education.
We are a quickly growing VC-funded startup based in San Francisco, with additional offices in Los Angeles. We have created online classes taught by famous masters—Gordon Ramsay, Martin Scorsese, Serena Williams, Helen Mirren, Margaret Atwood, Annie Leibovitz, Steph Curry, Carlos Santana, Timbaland and many more to come.
Since launching in 2015, we are growing our team. Apply now to find out more about what we are doing behind the scenes.
About the role:
We are looking for a seasoned editor to join our Publishing team to edit class workbooks and help shape the editorial vision for supplemental class materials. The Workbooks Editor will be responsible for end-to-end project management of assigned workbook projects and must demonstrate excellent editorial judgment.
What we are looking for:
- Excellent editorial judgment
- Expert-level project management skills
- Willingness to drive into new subject areas and become an expert -- never ending curiosity
- Ability to work and make decisions independently
Responsibilities of the role:
- Copy editing of all workbook manuscripts
- End-to-end editorial management of assigned workbooks
- Define scope and vision for the workbook, in partnership with CP
- Source, contract, and manage writer
- Set and maintain project schedule
- Developmentally edit manuscript
- Collaborate with Motion Graphics team on content for workbook and in-class graphics
- Manage proofreader edits/workflow on in-class copy
- Collaborate with Editorial Designer on design direction
- Manage proofreader edits/workflow
- Manage instructor team edits/workflow
- Develop and maintain style guide for workbooks
- Represent workbook team internally and externally for assigned workbooks / where needed (should be instructor facing if necessary)
- Experience commissioning work and managing writers
- Experience managing projects end-to-end
- 5-7 years of editorial experience at a premium media company
- Working knowledge of InDesign a plus (but not required)
- Excited to work with a small interdisciplinary team in a fast-paced environment
- Bachelor’s degree; Masters degree preferred
- Work full-time in our San Francisco office
- Legally eligible to work in the United States
At MasterClass, we believe we put our best work forward when our employees bring together ideas that are diverse in thought. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law. In addition, MasterClass will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you have a disability or special need, we would like to know how we can better accommodate you.