Checkr’s mission is to build a fairer future by improving the understanding of the past. Since graduating Y-Combinator in 2014, Checkr’s product has shifted the on-demand economy and has continued to scale into serving enterprise companies across various industries. As a company that provides modern and compliant background checks for global enterprises and startups, Checkr knows first hand how difficult it may be for individuals with prior criminal history to find employment and we want to help provide fair chances for the formerly convicted. A career with Checkr provides the opportunity to make an impact on the professional lives of millions of people and we encourage all qualified individuals to apply for our roles.
We are looking for a motivated and experienced attorney to manage core corporate legal functions, including securities, mergers and acquisitions, corporate governance activities, and equity issues. The Senior Corporate Counsel will be exposed to a variety of legal and business matters and will report to Checkr’s General Counsel.
While this is a highly collaborative, flexible, and fun environment, we are looking for a self-starting problem-solver who can work collaboratively and autonomously and roll up their sleeves when necessary to get the job done.
- Provide support on all corporate transactional work, including financings, M&A, and other strategic transactions. Coordinate among the legal, finance, and corporate development teams and external corporate counsel on the above.
- For strategic M&A transactions, partner with the business on deal structure and LOI terms, plan and assist with due diligence, draft and negotiate deal agreements, and actively manage deal process and execution.
- Advise and support corporate governance matters and subsidiary formation and administration.
- Work with finance team to support stock administration on equity matters and employee education.
- Provide advice on corporate governance best practices, including assistance on general board and shareholder matters, the formation of corporate governance policies, securities filings, and coordination of stock or equity issuance.
- Draft and negotiate customer sales agreements, commercial partnership agreements, and services agreements.
- Build and manage processes and workflows that can scale to keep up with our fast growth.
- JD degree and a member in good standing of the California Bar
- 7+ years of corporate, M&A, and securities law experience, with at least 5+ years at a law firm and 2+ years in-house at a large tech company preferred
- Top-notch expertise in corporate, securities, investment, and other corporate transactional experience with a nationally recognized law firm.
- Pragmatic strategist capable of operating independently who can identify and resolve legal issues in the context of the company’s commercial goals and risk thresholds.
- Must be able to provide crisp, timely, and pragmatic legal advice and execute swiftly on many tasks
- Collaborative team player with excellent interpersonal skills and a good sense of humor.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Flexible and able to organize, prioritize and complete multiple priorities and projects (internally and externally) in a fast-paced environment
- Thrives in an environment where you need to roll up your sleeves and own outcomes.
- Ability to learn quickly and take on challenging new projects with enthusiasm
- Excellent judgment, attention to detail, and ability to handle sensitive and confidential information.
All Checkr employees enjoy the following:
- 100% medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Unlimited PTO policy
- Gym membership and commuter benefits
- Catered lunch, dinner, and snacks
Equal Employment Opportunities at Checkr
Checkr is committed to hiring talented and qualified individuals with diverse backgrounds for all of its tech, non-tech, and leadership roles. Checkr believes that the gathering and celebration of unique backgrounds, qualities, and cultures enriches the workplace.
Checkr also welcomes the opportunity to consider qualified applicants with prior arrest or conviction records. Checkr’s commitment to diversity extends to hiring talented individuals in spite of a prior criminal history in accordance with local, state, and/or federal laws, including the San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance.