Who we are
TransferWise was founded in 2011 with a clear mission: Money without borders - so people and businesses can send and receive any currency effortlessly, whenever, wherever.
Sure, the heart of what we do is international money transfer. And we’re committed to making it instant, convenient and fair for millions of people, all over the world. But we’re growing our other products and our teams at an exciting pace. And we’re looking for the very best to jump on board.
What it’s really like to work here
At TransferWise, we do things a bit differently. There’s no corporate nonsense, and no old-fashioned hierarchy. Instead, we work in dozens of self-sufficient, autonomous teams. Think of them like start-ups within a start-up that learn from each other.
Each team picks the problems they want to solve. So there’s no micro-management. No hiding behind fancy job titles. And no one telling you what to do. You are your own boss. But you’ll get tons of guidance and plenty of support from talented, super-smart colleagues from all over TransferWise.
We’re going to be upfront — the way we work doesn’t suit everyone. But if freedom, autonomy, and life-affirming, head-scratching professional challenges rock your world, we could be a match made in heaven.
Product engineers only
Here at TransferWise we don’t hire coders, who pick up tickets from a backlog and push code to production without considering value and impact.
What you’ll be working on:
- You will build modern payment card industry consumer experiences in card issuance, acquiring or payout product areas
- You will implement integrations with payment service providers, card payment schemes and build versatile microservice based backend architecture
- At its core, our stack is Java microservices, using Netflix OSS offerings, and SPAs written in Angular 1/React, with a legacy Grails monolith. We are moving quickly to proven distributed technologies that can be scaled (Kafka, Zookeeper, Spring Cloud + much more)
- More details: http://tech.transferwise.com/the-transferwise-stack-heartbeat-of-our-little-revolution/
- Experience with common available payment schemes (MasterCard, Visa or UnionPay)
- Fluency with Java
- Experience working closely with different relational databases like PostgresSQL and MySQL
- Experience with building RESTful APIs
- Understanding of test driven development (TDD), the ability to structure your code so it’s testable, and the desire to write tests.
- You know what it means to build software that handles customers’ money. You constantly think about security, risks, data integrity, and bulletproof processes
- Experience with HA high load systems. Interest in solving concurrency, scalability, distributed architecture and orchestration challenges.
Nice to have:
- Knowledge of ISO 8583 standard
- Experience with Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards (PCI DSS)
- Experience with banking messaging standards and protocols
- Data analytics skills - analyze financial data and turn data into stories, build data visualizations
- Be a customer of TransferWise
Apart from the all-expenses-paid company trips, stock options in one of Europe’s most hotly tipped startups, a laptop and team lunches every other Thursday, you won’t get much in the way of extras. However, we will give you 28 days holiday a year (plus public holidays), a fun, friendly atmosphere, plenty of opportunities to grow and the chance to be part of our little revolution. Oh, and coffee, there’s plenty of coffee.