We are Sumo Logic, and we are building the next generation machine data analytics platform. Sumo Logic is in the intersection of Big Data, SaaS, analytics, and security. We have 2500+ enterprise customers with over $230M in funding from the world's leading investors (Accel, Greylock, Sequoia, Sutter Hill, and DFJ Growth).
The proliferation of machine log data has the potential to give organizations unprecedented real-time visibility into their infrastructure and operations. With this opportunity come tremendous technical challenges around ingesting, managing, and understanding high-volume streams of heterogeneous data.
As the Engineering Manager for Search, you will be a hands-on development leader for the team that owns our Core Search platform, query processing and ingest processing components. You will provide technical leadership and mentorship, encouraging professional and personal growth for each individual in the team. You will work with product management to set priorities for new product features as well as stakeholders outside of engineering, including customers, on technical matters.
The ideal candidate will have successfully led an engineering team focused on building large scale distributed systems, preferably around search, query processing, data infrastructure and data analysis.
- Provide technical leadership and mentoring for engineers in the team.
- Lead a team of software engineers and work as a member of the team.
- Create an environment to foster professional and personal growth of each individual engineer in the team.
- Become an expert in the core Sumo Logic technologies (Scala, AWS, Akka, Lucene, and service-oriented architectures).
- Help engineers to arrive at good designs by asking questions and working with other senior engineers in the engineering organization.
- Lead the team to provide production-ready system components and operation support to the SRE (Site Reliability Engineering) team; and systematically mature components to hand-off to the SRE team.
- Remove obstacles that prevent teams from achieving their goals.
- Work effectively with Product Management, Ops/SRE, and Customer Success to
- Drive product feature output for the Data Engine Team.
- Ensure timely response and resolutions to relevant site operations and support escalations.
Required Skills & Experience
- Previous experience with technical people management.
- Strong technical aptitude to lead an engineering team
- Ability to meet challenges under demanding conditions and keep calm under pressure.
- Organized and able to work with many people to deliver product features on tight schedules.
- BS / MS / PhD in Computer Science or related discipline.
- Agile development experience.