Technical Lead – London at TransferWise
We’re looking for a Technical Lead to join our growing team in London. This is a unique opportunity to bring your ideas and expertise to one of the fastest-growing tech companies in Europe, defining the vision, delivering the plan and leading the team.
At TransferWise we’ve doubled in size in the last 18 months to 1400+ people globally and we continue to grow at breakneck speed. You’ll receive a competitive package including generous stock options and private healthcare amongst other benefits.
- Based within one of our product teams, your role will be a combination of coaching and leading a talented team of engineers and getting stuck in with technical contributions
- With a high level of autonomy, you’ll work closely with a product manager (and perhaps a product designer and/or analyst), as well as your engineers, to make both product and project decisions.
Some of your focus areas will be:
- Building your team: You’ll help your team to work together and bring out individual strengths. Using an agile approach you’ll put in place the structures you feel your team needs and communicate effectively. You’ll play an active part in hiring, onboarding and growing your team to increase your capacity to take on bigger challenges
- Ensuring technical excellence: You’ll be a hands-on engineer who can teach best practice within your team. You’ll play a leading role in technical design as well as project delivery. You’ll help the team with software quality and take personal ownership of the product you ship
- Project planning and prioritisation: You’ll help the team focus on the needs of our customers. By understanding those needs you’ll help them determine which projects will be most impactful, and by defining project scope, you’ll help them prioritise and manage their work
- Coaching: You’ll have regular one to ones with your team, helping your engineers to work through both technical and personal challenges. You’ll help them to improve and develop over time, and to meet their personal objectives
This role will give you the opportunity to:
- Choose your own path to success - you’ll have the freedom to define the vision and responsibility for making it happen
- Be flexible in how and where you work, we understand everyone needs a little something different so we’ll do our best to make it happen
- Inspire teams with your ideas, knowledge and self-starter attitude
- Travel to work with our teams in Tallinn, Budapest and Singapore.
A bit about you:
- You have previous experience of leading and mentoring a team of engineers
- You understand the value of balancing product knowledge and technical skills and can coach other engineers and product managers on both
- You enjoy creating an inspiring team environment where ideas are shared, and openness is valued
- You’ve worked with Java, Spring framework, asynchronous message queues and have experience with microservices architecture
- Experienced working with SQL databases, query optimization and transactions
- You set a high bar for software quality and consider tests a must
- Your code reads like well-written prose.
Some extra skills that would be awesome:
- Expertise in AWS, Kubernetes and service mesh architectures
- Passion for international finance, foreign exchange and payment systems.