Platform at TransferWise designs, builds and operates the foundation technologies that power a product that moves £4bn every month. Platform is organized around technical domains and disciplines - areas like public cloud, data engineering, engineering productivity tooling (ci/cd), automation frameworks, observability, Kubernetes etc. These domains allow teams to become experts in their particular area but also maintain strong shared ownership and vision. This is a unique opportunity to bring your ideas and expertise to one of the fastest-growing tech companies in Europe, defining the vision, delivering the plan and leading the team.
In TransferWise, our platform technical leads both lead a specific domain from roadmap through to operation, as well as the people side of the team. Read on if this sounds interesting.
- Your role will be a combination of coaching and leading a talented team of engineers and contributing hands-on yourself
- With a high level of autonomy, you’ll work closely with your engineers, to make both product and project decisions.
- Working with others in platform and the broader engineering teams on a shared platform vision.
- Prioritise carefully against the internal needs of the platform team, against that of 30+ product teams trying to achieve the mission
Some of your focus areas will be:
- Building your team: You’ll help your team to work together and bring out individual strengths. Using an agile approach you’ll put in place the structures you feel your team needs and communicate effectively. You’ll play an active part in hiring, onboarding and growing your team to increase your capacity to take on bigger challenges.
- Ensuring technical excellence: You’ll be a hands-on engineer who can teach best practice within your team. You’ll play a leading role in technical design as well as project delivery. You’ll help the team with maintaining quality of delivery and take personal ownership of the products the team ships.
- Project planning and prioritisation: You’ll help the team focus on the needs of your customers (of TransferWise and 300 engineers!). By understanding those needs you’ll help them determine which projects will be most impactful, and by defining project scope, you’ll help them prioritise and manage their work.
- Coaching: You’ll have regular one to ones with your team, helping your engineers to work through both technical and personal challenges. You’ll help them to improve and develop over time, and to meet their personal objectives
This role will give you the opportunity to:
- Choose your own path to success - you’ll have the freedom to define your roadmap and responsibility for making it happen
- Be flexible in how and where you work, we understand everyone needs a little something different so we’ll do our best to make it happen
- Inspire teams with your ideas, knowledge and self-starter attitude
- Travel to work with our teams in London, Budapest, Tallinn and Singapore.
A bit about you:
- You have previous experience of leading and mentoring a team of engineers
- You understand the value of balancing customer centric thinking and technical skills and can coach other engineers on both
- You're comfortable and confident providing input to other teams' priorities
- Transferwise is rapidly expanding so you know what it takes to keep pace with rapid business growth.
- You enjoy creating an inspiring team environment where ideas are shared, and openness is valued
- You have been involved in designing and operating business critical information systems, including 24/7 support
We recognise skills can be acquired but ideally you have some of the following:
- Experience with microservice (we have 100+) and mesh architectures running in an containerised environment - ideally Kubernetes
- Broad design and operational experience on public cloud - ideally on AWS
- Working with complex Java applications
- Passion for building and supporting the tooling needed to build better products
- Experience with modern practices in real-time data pipelines and streaming - especially with Kafka
- Site Reliability or DevOps background
- Passion for international finance, foreign exchange and payment systems.