About the Role
Our NYC office focuses on building highly efficient and reliable logistics solutions that span across food delivery (Uber Eats), e-commerce, and more. We are working to define and build the next generation of Uber's logistics platform.
We are currently looking for a strong Backend Software Engineer with data experience to build solutions which address marketplace data challenges. You will be building the next generation of data products that enable us to efficiently translate business metric data into the knowledge which powers real time action and strategic decision making.
What You'll Do
- Expand on a solid infrastructure, that collects, stores and serves petabytes of information, services &frameworks that makes data more accessible to Uber's developers, services & teams.
- Build multi-region architecture on both on-premise and in the cloud to provide high availability and strong consistency.
- Utilize the latest breakthroughs in stream transportation and batch processing technologies, to extract enormous value out of Uber's data.
- Translate functional and technical requirements into detailed architecture and design.
- Participate in code and design reviews to maintain our high development standards.
- Mentor other engineers, foster our speed-oriented culture in them, and help to cultivate a fast growing team.
- An innate desire to deliver and a strong sense of accountability for your work.
What You'll Need
- Experience with large-scale data warehousing architecture and data modeling
- Experience building high quality end-to-end data solutions in agile environment from requirements to production.
- Proficiency with databases and SQL expertise is required
- Proficiency in Spark/MapReduce development and expertise with data processing (ETL) technologies is required
- Experience with streaming framework such as Apache Spark, Flink is a strong plus.
- Experience with Hadoop/hive, Vertica, Redshift, Presto, Pinot/Scuba and data warehouse technologies is preferred
- Experience in high level programming languages such as Java, Scala, or Python
- Aptitude to independently learn new technologies
- Should be self-motivated and passionate about bringing efficiency into the system through optimizations.
- Should be able to raise the bar for other engineers by proposing and driving innovative ideas.
- Experience in mentoring junior team members technically.
- If need be, Act as a Leader to drive big efforts with other engineers.
About the Team
The marketplace Intelligence team's focus is to generate marketplace insights that drive real-time actions and strategic decisions. Engineers in this team are a critical part of making the Uber Eats marketplace operations efficient and reliable. You can be a part of that future and build it with us.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.