Director of Engineering at Attentive
New York City, NY, US
Attentive is a mobile messaging platform changing the way consumers interact with businesses. The company is one of the fastest growing startups in New York City and recently raised a $40 million Series B investment led by Sequoia Capital in July 2019. Across our key product metrics, YoY growth is 1000%+ and is only accelerating. Attentive was founded in 2016 by the co-founders of TapCommerce, a mobile marketing platform that was acquired by Twitter in 2014.
We are looking for a Director of Engineering to lead our product engineering teams. This role leads 4 teams focused on customer facing features to facilitate support for new communication channels for brands. Your responsibilities will include creating a roadmap and execute upon it. You will help set, track and report on KPIs and OKRs. You will focus on improving the engagement, happiness and growth across your teams. Your toolbox includes advanced management techniques, organizational design and leadership, persuasion, negotiation, project management and system architecture. You will not write code as a Director of Engineering at Attentive.
You at Attentive:
- You have worked professionally with web technologies for 8+ years with experience on a single application long enough to see the consequences of your decisions.
- You have managed for 2+ years with experience managing managers with multiple direct reports.
- You recognize that process is never ending balancing act - too much leads to a bureaucratic mess, and too little leads to chaos.
- You know that employee engagement is critical to your success as a leader. You will spend time assessing and improvement engineering engagement.
- You want to build everything the right way, but accept that trade-offs must be made. You are prepared to drive our applications in the right direction week over week. You are excited by new technologies but are conscious of choosing them for the right reasons.
- You are enthusiastic about the high impact, fast-paced work environment of an early stage startup
Tech @ Attentive
- Our backend is Java and Python microservices coupled with DynamoDB, Kinesis, AirFlow, MySql, Postgres, and Redis.
- Our frontend is built on current best practices leveraging Babel, Webpack, React, and Redux.
- Our team is 35 engineers from NYC’s top tech companies including Google, Microsoft, Twitter, Moat, Oscar and AppNexus. Our platform ingests tens of millions of events per day.
- Each event is fed into a segmentation framework that schedules messages based on behavior - over a million of these messages are sent out every day.
Benefits & Perks
- Robust benefits package including 401k and various medical, dental and vision plans
- Unlimited vacation and a number of company-wide holidays
- Catered lunch every day, customized snacks and drinks
- Budget to buy whatever equipment you need to do your job
- Excellent team offsites, regular company-wide social events