IT Systems Engineer - Corporate Engineering at Deputy
At Deputy we’re on a mission to change the way the world works & we are want fantastic people to help us do that.
Deputy is a SaaS Workforce Management Product company. HQ'd in Sydney (AU), with offices in London (UK), Atlanta and San Francisco (USA). We’ve helped hundreds of thousands of people across all industries in 70+ countries save time and money managing their hourly workforce so they can focus on what they do best, and be amazing.
Modern apps have transformed the way we live and work. Complex wage and hour laws are sweeping the nation. And millennials are the new face of the labor market, with very different expectations of their employers. With Deputy, a business can attract the best talent, coordinate them to deliver a more profitable service, and navigate complicated legal obligations.
Corporate Engineering delivers technology, strategy and solutions to Deputy, and our core mission is to enable and empower Deputies to do incredible things with technology.
We do this by building elegant solutions to complex problems, listen to, and partner with Deputy leaders across every team and function, and put our customer experience first.
From support to infrastructure and beyond, every solution we deliver is designed with Deputies first, and we are the flywheel that helps amplify and propel Deputy forward.
Deputy is growing incredibly fast across the globe, and we’ve got a huge job to help power that growth!
Responsibilities (What you’ll do):
- Design, test, build, document and support tooling and automation in endpoint management of our hardware fleet (MacOS, tvOS, iOS, ChromeOS)
- Support and manage SaaS applications — think Dropbox, GSuite, Slack, 1Password, etc.
- Design, build and support endpoint security applications -- think logging, security and other tools across securing our endpoint fleet
- Build, Manage and improve Identity Management and SSO tools (GSuite, Okta, etc.)
- Secure and remediate issues related to our infrastructure, endpoints or SaaS applications
- Document your solutions clearly and accurately; you’ll constantly own, update and maintain that documentation, and you write in a clear, concise, friendly manner
- Manage, respond to, and fix critical incidents and issues as needed, through to completion
- Handle on-call and after hours work (rarely, and only when necessary)
- You’re comfortable juggling help desk tickets and are familiar using project management tools (such as JIRA, Zendesk, and Asana)
- Help grow and mentor a new team — be a part of the IT team you’ve always wanted to be in!
Who you are (Must Have, Non Negotiable):
- 2+ years in an IT Operations, IT Engineering, Systems Engineer, or Platform Engineer role, with progressive experience
- Exceptional communication skills, written AND verbal -- you love talking to people, and you write clear, concise and friendly documentation and chat
- You’re empathetic, and understand different employees have different needs
- You’re an individual contributor on a team of other engineers
- Strong organizational and task management skills
- Familiar with using GCP or AWS to deploy tools
- You understand networking fundamentals and basic troubleshooting — TCP/IP, DNS, DHCP, VLANs, Routing, and you can troubleshoot various levels of the OSI model
- Strong communication skills. You aren’t afraid of people.
- You know how to self manage, and can accurately scope your project timelines, priorities, and goals—and tie them all back to our company goals
- You’re comfortable dealing with ambiguity, and sometimes making a decision without all the data—but you make the right decision, for the right reasons
Nice to haves
- You’ve worked in a role designing, building and supporting tools for employees (and you know you’re one too)
- You’ve worked with open source tools before, or you want to get started -- experience with osquery, chef or puppet (but not required)
- You’re in a global role — you understand how to work across multiple time zones
- You’ve got startup experience — we are progressive in how we use technology, but our business moves extremely fast. Change happens frequently.
- You’ve got high energy, and you love working with people across different teams, including non-engineers
- You’re extremely empathetic, and you care deeply about the customer experience; IT isn’t a science, but You love making anything you build or support a seamless, easy to use experience, and you’re service-oriented.
- A/V & VC experience (audio/visual & video conferencing) with meeting rooms and software solutions (Google Hangouts/Meet, Zoom, etc.)
- Office buildout experience, including scoping and planning (or participating with) low voltage, networking and FDOBs
You’ll be responsible for designing, building, operating and maintaining solutions for our corporate infrastructure and employees at Deputy.
If you’re excited about the opportunity to build a LOT of things from the ground up, this is it. You’ll have substantial, meaningful input and ownership on projects across the enterprise and your impact will be global.
You should be comfortable scoping, sourcing and vetting solutions for complex problems, identify opportunities for improvements, remediate security issues, and you love to automate.
You think progressively, and if there isn’t a product available, you’re interested in building a solution yourself.
You should be comfortable seeing a project through from beginning to end, you deliver on time, but you’re not afraid to ask for help when you need it.
You’re still excited about support — we all work on the help desk, so you should be comfortable with variety, from troubleshooting an iPhone app, to finding the right cable, and all while working on your projects with a smile.
- Australian Hyper-Growth Startup - Head Office in Sydney
- Raised $111M Series B Round led by IVP, OpenView (our Series A investor), Square Peg Capital and EVP.
- Global Growth across APAC, America and EMEA.
- Share Options - Paternity/Maternity Leave Policies
- Personal Learning & Development Fund
- Flexible Work Policy
- Company wide Development & Coaching
- Deputy Toastmasters Club
- Awards - "Your Time to Shine & Celebrate Success"
- Social Events & variety of social clubs (Books, LGBT, Games, Sports)
- Mental Health Support
- Munch & Learns
- Food/ Drinks/ Snacks
At Deputy we’re on a mission to change the way the world works. Since 2008 over 200 million shifts have been rostered on Deputy, in over 90 countries, and across 245 different industries.
The Bureau of Labor and Statistics estimates that hourly workers make up 80 – 90% of the workforce. Yet while hourly workers comprise such large majorities of the global workforce, there is a stark lack of software tools available today that directly address their needs
We’re making it easier for businesses and teams to roster staff, manage leave, complete payroll and take the admin out of work so that our customers can focus on doing what they love. We hire amazing people to do what they’re best at, and work with some incredible businesses all around the world.
Check out this video: Deputy Explained
Deputy believes in equal opportunity and that inclusiveness and diversity promotes innovation. Our global team members are from a variety of cultures. And we welcome different perspective and skills.
Interested? Apply now